For the summer of 2019, the Arabic Summer Academy is accepting applications for Arabic Instructors and Teaching Assistants. Please see the details below.
Arabic Instructor Position
The Arabic Summer Academy of the Boston Public Schools is seeking applications for the position of Arabic instructor for the summer of 2019.
About the program
The Arabic Summer Academy of the Boston Public Schools is an intensive, non-residential summer enrichment program for high school students, funded by the STARTALK initiative and hosted at Charlestown High School in Boston. The program teaches beginning-level Arabic to students from a variety of Boston schools and backgrounds. Instructor responsibilities last from June 24th to July 20th, 2019. The Arabic Summer Academy is an intensive and highly collaborative working environment seeking to serve a diverse group of students.
- Employment lasts from June 24th to July 20th, 2019, including orientation, program and wrap-up days
- The program meets Monday through Saturday, 7:30 AM to 3:00 PM
- Before being hired, all employees at the Arabic Summer Academy must complete a criminal background check through Boston Public Schools
About the position
- Serving as instructor in beginning-level high school Arabic classes
- Attending and participating in instructor workshops and daily collaborative planning meetings
- Leading daily co-curricular cultural activities
- Chaperoning field trips
- Using Arabic as the primary language of instruction
- Collaborating with administration and fellow staff to jointly create and implement curriculum
- Instructors will receive a payment of $5000 for their work
The ideal applicant
- Is a team player who is eager to collaborate
- Is eager to improve his or her own teaching and classroom management strategies throughout the summer
- Is dedicated to serving students from a wide range of backgrounds and skill sets
- Has high-level fluency in both Arabic and English, and is comfortable interacting in Modern Standard Arabic and a colloquial Arabic variety (both native and non-native Arabic speakers are encouraged to apply)
- Has prior experience teaching Arabic at the novice level
- Has prior experience working with high school students in an academic setting
- Resides in the Boston area or has a strong connection to it
Applicants should send CV and a letter of application describing their teaching philosophy and interest in ASA as soon as possible.
Teaching Assistant Opportunity
The Arabic Summer Academy is seeking applications for the position of teaching assistant for our Arabic language summer program. We are particularly interested in high school or undergraduate students of Arabic and native speakers from the Boston area.
Responsibilities include: observing and assisting instructors during an intensive, non-residential summer enrichment program in Boston, June 24th to July 20th 2019; tutoring high school students in Arabic; helping the administration with a variety of logistical support tasks; and attending and assisting in all field trips and extracurricular activities.
Ideal applicants will have at least intermediate proficiency in Arabic and high-level fluency in English, experience tutoring Arabic, and experience in positions of responsibility with younger students in an academic setting.
Applicants should send a letter of application and CV. Applications will be reviewed starting immediately, continuing until the position is filled. Before being hired, all employees at the Arabic Summer Academy must complete a criminal background check through Boston Public Schools